Multi-camera with Announcers Setup
Now that you've mastered a simple production, it's time to start adding elements to spice up your productions. An easy way to do this is to add more cameras. Below you will see the setup for multiple cameras.
When adding more cameras you have many options. Below are 3 options of varying quality.
A handicam style camera can be easily mounted to a tripod, and delivers a great picture. Limitations are in the lack of zoom capacities and the smoothness of camera movement due to its lighter weight. Just be sure to choose one with an option. A good camera to look into is the Sony HDR RCX405.
This camera is ideal for a tripod or shoulder mount and has image stabilization built-in. Here’s a good camera you may want to consider, Panasonic AG-AC8PJ.
Price: ~$1,150 - $1,500
This camera has the same features as the mid range and many advanced features including built-in shot transitions, advanced light handling features, and other image control functions. A camera we recommend is the Panasonic AG-AC160A.
Price: ~$3,000 - $4,000
This, however, adds the complexity of a video switcher. Notice the need for a video switcher using the output of the video switcher instead of the camera output. Below are four options for video switcher
This is an extremely inexpensive solution for switching video feeds. You won't be able to preview the inputs which is a major setback but for controlling output of multiple video feeds this is a great option. Furthermore, you could use this in conjunction with another switcher to control more video feeds than the switcher supports.
This switcher/mixer combination is a self-contained unit that allows the user to run up to 4 cameras.
- Support for video cameras, action cameras, smart phones, tablet computers and other HDMI devices
- 4 HDMI inputs
- Supports up to Full HD 1080p
- Easy to Use Interface
- Picture-in-picture and split functions
- Two EFFECTS knobs deliver genuine visual performance
- Full 12 Channel Audio Mixer Included
- Easy to Operate with Hardware Controls
- Two HDMI Outputs
- Remote Control via USB or MIDI Connection
- Does not have build in DDR (Digital Data Recorder)
- Does not have moving/complex graphics capability
- Does not have RCA port
One of the most useful and overlooked pieces of equipment that can greatly enhance a broadcast is a high quality tripod. It's hard to focus on the high quality of the camera if the movement is shaky or jerky.
An inexpensive option is the Sony VCTR640 costing about $40.
A sturdier, but more expensive option is the Bescor TH-770 costing about $100.
One of the biggest setbacks of an experienced crew is not being able to communicate during a broadcast. Adding an intercom system will improve the quality of the production by allowing a director to assign cameras to shoot specific aspects of the activity. This will allow the production to tell a better story.
This is a portable, 4-station, wireless intercom system
- Includes 4 headsets and transmitters
- 1 for the director who can speak to anyone
- 3 for the camera people who can only hear and speak to the director
- 10 hours of battery life in Standby mode, 5 hours in Communication mode
- 150 yard range
- No base station required
- Standby (listen only) and Continuous Talk switching
- Independent volume control knob
- No FCC license required
Total Price: ~$800
Having access to a secure internet connection is the difference streaming and not. When filming at an arena which is new or unfamiliar, internet can be the biggest issue. So, below are 2 solutions to securing internet.
4G Cellular Data Cards and Mobile Hotspots*
Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 5510L:
- Provides a 4G data connection for up to 10 devices
- 5 hours of “Use Time” on single charge
- Approximately $99/month for 20 GB*
*Contact PlayOn! Sports and we will be able to connect you to a local Verizon representative for special unlimited-data prices.
Mobile Hotspot MiFi Liberate:
- Provides a 4G data connection for up to 10 devices
- Up to 10 hours “Use Time” on single charge
- Monthly fees vary. Contact your local AT&T for more information
*Check 4G coverage maps to determine which carrier is right for you:
**Please use caution when streaming with a 4G wireless hot spot. Depending on your location, an Internet connection may be weak or unpredictable. We, however, recognize that, on some occasions, 4G connections are the only option for broadcasting.
Point-to-Point Wireless Bridge
A Point-to-Point wireless bridge system connects two networks by two antennas; one that is connected to a hard-wired network, and one that is connected to the computer or device that requires Internet access.
- Easy way to get Internet connectivity in remote locations of campus
- More reliable than 4G/3G broadcast connections
- It does not require a monthly bill
Total Price: ~$229
Some other things to keep in mind are extension cords, power strips or longer cable. Depending on your setup, you might need additional connectors or converters which are further outlined in the attached equipment guide.
Finally, you will want to consider incorporating a storm case to store all of this equipment. The Pelican iM2750 Storm Case is a great product. It is a padded, multi-level case with a telescoping handle and wheels for easy mobility.