The NFHS Network supports the use of certain models of NewTek TriCaster to stream events directly to the NFHS Network website. By direct-streaming from the TriCaster, you will not need to use the Producer software or a video capture device.
- DO NOT install the Producer Software on your TriCaster! If you install our software on your TriCaster you could risk making your TriCaster unusable.
- Preferred Browsers: Google Chrome or Firefox if you plan to schedule your events using the web browser on your TriCaster.
What model of TriCaster are you using?
- TriCaster 40v2
- TriCaster 460
- TriCaster 455
- TriCaster 860
- TriCaster 855
- TriCaster 8000
Other compatible models
- TriCaster 300
- TriCaster 850 EXTREME
- TriCaster 450 TriCaster 40v1
- TriCaster 850 TriCaster Mini
The following models are NOT SUPPORTED by our platform for direct-streaming:
- TriCaster 100
- TriCaster Broadcast
- TriCaster Duo
- TriCaster VideoToaster
- TriCaster Studio
UPDATING YOUR TRICASTER
To check if the units are on the latest software please go to Help > About TriCaster on the main wheel of the user interface or if you are inside live production click Alt+B on the keyboard and it will flash on the top tool bar. You want to make sure you are running the latest software. (refer to the chart below for the latest software number) If you are running an older build please go here to update http://www.newtek.com/downloads.html#tricaster Once the update is installed run a test event in a new session.
|TriCaster Model||Update Version|
|TriCaster40||Version: Rev6e 150624|
|Version: Rev5g 140516|
|Standard Edition for 8000, 860, 410, Mini, Mini SDI||Version: 2-6-161116|
|Advanced Edition for 8000, 860, 410, Mini, Mini SDI||Version 1: 3-2-160706|
|Version 2: 4-0-161116|
SETTING UP YOUR TRICASTER
All the information the TriCaster needs will be made available via a “Streaming Profile” file CMS will custom build for your event, which you will need to download before you start your stream. Once you get everything set up, producing events is easy. You will be able to complete a very simple set of steps to get your event on air and synced with our systems, not having to deal with any manual steps or hassles described in the Introduction to this guide.
- IMPORTANT: We recommend a resolution of 720p for most TriCasters (with solid bandwidth available).
- At this time we do not fully support 1080i/p resolutions
If you do not have an appropriate session to use, create one now by following these steps:
- 1. Starting in full screen TriCaster mode (if you’re not sure what this is, restart your TriCaster. It will boot up and send you to the screen we are referring to), find the ring of “gems” (icons) and click on “New”
- 2. The screen will display a form for you to fill out, much like what you see here:
- 3. Name your session something you will remember (based on its settings) in case you want to create more later (Example: “NFHS-Events-720p”)
- 4. Select the volume you want the session data be stored, NTSC as your Video Standard (if you have more than one option), a resolution of 720 or lower…then click “Start Session”
- 5. After you click “Start Session” you will be taken to the main production screen. Next we need to create a Streaming Connection for CMS
Streaming to the NFHS Network not have an appropriate session to use, create one now by following these steps:
- 1. Open Streaming Configuration Panel by clicking on the Gear next to the Streaming button
- 2. Type http://tricaster.nfhsnetwork.com in the URL address bar
- 3. Click Go
- 4. Enter your Console email address and password, and click Sign in
- 5. You will be prompted by TriCaster to allow the website to automatically configure your streaming settings
- 6. Click OK
- 7. Find your Live Stream in the list and click the Produce button - NOTE: Make sure you have scheduled your Live Stream in Console BEFORE trying to stream to you event
- 8. Click Clear Existing Streaming Profile
- 9. Click Download Streaming Profile
- 10. Click OK
- 11. When you’re ready to go on air, click Steam button in the TriCaster user interface
- 12. After you start streaming, click Record to save a local copy of your broadcast
If you run into any problems or have questions call 877-339-7529 for assistance.
- Check to make sure your Tricaster has all its updates
- Be sure to select the correct updates for your model TriCaster
- Make sure you have the FMLE Limelight Access Adapter
- Click here to download the guide from Limelight - PAGE 7
- MMD Live Streaming guide is attached at the bottom of this article
- Make sure the correct stream profile is loaded
- If you cannot see your event. Check to see if the ‘Live Event’ is complete. If it is, delete the live steam and create a new one
- Confirm that you are not in the ‘Test Stream’
How do I find the logs in my TriCaster?
Your Tricaster will only save a log file for the last stream that you completed. That log file is stored in the Windows area of your Tricaster, in one of two places:
- For XD40, XD300, XD450, XD850, XD455, and XD855 as well as earlier builds of 8000: C:\TriCaster\Bin64\Logs\debug_log_last_run.txt.gz
- For XD410, XD460, XD860, and newer builds of XD8000: SESSION_DRIVE:\Sessions\SESSION_NAME\Logs\LastRun.txt.gz
Why am I seeing this message pop up?
“STREAMED AUDIO CLIPPED (AT -0DBVU)”
This is an audio clipping issue. What happened is that the audio in your show was loud enough that it needed to be clipped (i.e. the audio level exceeds the allowed 16bit range that can be put in a video stream). You can control these levels in your audio mixer and change the scale to show dBFS if you prefer.
Why can’t I use 1080i/p resolutions?
- Not all models load our custom profile XML files as expected when a 1080 session is used
- 1080 in general requires much higher bandwidth, no matter what bitrate you configure it for – many viewers will not have sufficient bandwidth to view your stream at this resolution.
Why am I seeing this error when trying to stream?
“MODULE.HARDWARE.HD.OUTPUT.X64 HAS STOPPED WORKING”
The TriCaster 40 is unable to stream using a 720/60p session. The solution is to choose a lower resolution such as 480. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136817-Horrible-Livestream-and-Ustream-problem-with-TC-40-version-2