Welcome to the NFHS Network! We’re excited that you have chosen to be a part of our School Broadcast Program! Our Marketing team has put together a few post ideas and tips on how you can get the most out of this program by promoting your games on social media.
-Share the link to specific games: This is a great way to let your audience know all the information they need to know about a specific event. Start by copying the game link (URL) to the game you want to share. You can find the link from Console or the NFHS Network website. Then open up your social media account and paste that link there. On Instagram, your followers will not be able to click on a link simply within a caption. You will need to change out the link in your profile’s settings and direct your followers there. Another alternative is using a tool like Linktree or Linkinbio to store all of your links.
Check out our NEW feature that allows you to easily share your school's events on social media directly from Console! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS.
-Post a list of upcoming events: If your school has a busy week full of great sporting events, it’s a good idea to share a full list of all the upcoming events that you have. This way your audience knows ahead of time which games they should circle on their calendars. This can be done by simply typing out the details of each event in a post, or creating a graphic with the information. If you are looking for a free and easy tool to make graphics like this, try out Canva!
-Share updates from events: A good post idea is to share updates from specific events. You could post outcomes of games, score updates, and photos from the event! For your followers that are unable to attend the event, this is a great way to keep them involved!
- Always share a photo: On average, posts with photos vs. posts without photos perform 2-3x better! So when promoting a game on social media, be sure to add a photo when possible. When you share the game link on Twitter and Facebook, a photo from the NFHS Network website will auto-generate. On Instagram and other platforms, you will need to upload your own photo. If you have a video to share, that’s even better!
- Write a compelling caption: One of the most important things about social media is knowing your audience. So be sure to use words, catchphrases, photos, and hashtags that you think will resonate best with your followers. In your caption, always include important details about the event that you are sharing. Include the link, type of sport, the team names, and date and time of the event. Your followers can find all the other details about the event by clicking on the link.
- Tag other accounts: Always be sure to tag the NFHS Network in all your posts so that our social media team can see it and share it on our pages. If the teams that are playing in the event you are promoting have a social media account, you will want to tag them as well. This is just another way of getting more people to see your post.
- Use a hashtag: Hashtags are another great way to promote your content. If your school already has a known hashtag, this is a great place to start. If not, create a hashtag that represents your school and its program. And you are always welcome to use #NFHSNetwork on all of your posts!
- Always check your work!: Before you hit that “share” or “send” button, look back over your post to make sure there are no typos or errors. There’s nothing worse than having incorrect information on your page!
- Monitor the performance: Like we already talked about, it’s important to know your audience. One way to get to know your audience is to monitor the performance of your posts. If your tweet didn’t get any retweets, you may need to change the time of day in which you post. If your Facebook post didn’t get any likes, maybe you need to switch up your captions.
- Be consistent!: One of the most important aspects to growing your social media following is posting consistently. This way you will build up a reputation with your current followers and in turn, get new followers. If you’re new to this, don’t try to do too much at once. Pick a number that you are comfortable with and use that as a goal of how many times per week/day to post.
Sharing information about your school’s events on social media is just one way you can promote your school and the NFHS Network. For other marketing tips, click here to read our “Best Marketing Practices” article.
Need some more social media marketing tips? Sign up for one of our upcoming school marketing webinars HERE!